Sunday 14 June 2009

Enjoy New Words?

Here is a list of nine words which I wrote down, after reading a book which trod down my 'lexical ego,' wedged my vocabulary wide open and forced me to get my dictionary out in humble submission.

I have listed them in order in which the words are most fun to say aloud. Enjoy...

1. Solipsism - the theory that only the self exists, or can be proved to exist.
2. Simulacrum - a slight, unreal, or superficial likeness or semblance.
3. Liminal - situated at a sensory threshold.
4. Vapidity - without liveliness or spirit; dull or tedious: a vapid party; vapid conversation.
5. Apotropaic - intended to ward off evil.
6. Neotony - the state resulting when juvenile characteristics are retained by the adults of a species
7. Preternatural - out of the ordinary course of nature; exceptional or abnormal: preternatural powers.
8. Fatuous - foolish or inane, esp. in an unconscious, complacent manner; silly.
9. Apposite - suitable; well-adapted; pertinent; relevant; apt: an apposite answer.

Please feel free to share any interesting words you have discovered recently, especially those which are particularly enjoyable to speak aloud.

No comments: