Monday 15 June 2009

Big Babies 2 - Why iPods suck

Here is another quote from Michael Bywater's book, Big Babies. In chapter 5 he addresses the problem of entertainment, arguing that distraction has become one of the hallmarks of our age, lamenting in particular about the proliferation of the use of personal stereo equipment. Those little, 'cultish' white ear buds (and you yes, you have to have the right ones, not those fake 'wannabe' ear buds), which let the world know you belong to the cult of the iPod, screaming 'Are you One of Us?' yet at the same time saying, 'Leave Me the Hell Alone!.' He writes...

"Wandering from room to room is someone with an iPod; music no longer requires going out, being with other people, or even sitting in a room on your own, listening. Now its a permanent distraction, a matter of right, a way of affirming your identity without having to be identified by other members of your chosen tribe; even when we interact with the outside world, reluctantly our ears are plugged with the iPod buds, trickling music into our minds. Our grandparents would have thought is appalling rudeness; after all what does it say but, 'I do not acknowledge your existence. You are superfluous to me. I may be moving in the same physical space as you, but don't expect me to acknowledge it.' "


3 comments:

Tim Simmonds said...

My ipod allows me to listen to incredible teaching and preaching, as well as music.

I dont know anyone who has the earphones in while I talk to them.

Why do we need to fear new technology?

Oli Lawford said...

I would argue for increased discernment in the way we utilise our entertainment, especially that which disconnects us from society and from meaningful interaction with others.

Furthermore, although I see the advantage of personally receiving teaching in private as it were, it seems to me a pattern in scripture that the hearing of the word of God is to be done as part of the wider body; a public affair...isn't that what we do on Sundays after all?

I myself listen to preaching and teaching on my laptop, alone...yet even listening to preaching in private helps to enforce the prevailing individualism within society, and should be engaged with suitable care and thought.

Tim Simmonds said...

I think it is possible to argue that ipods actually help you to be more connected to the world.

They are tools for recieving info, news, art and theology. The ipod has probably encouraged more people to create things they wouldnt have otherwise created. They have put the creation of media in the hands of the masses, which has to be a good thing.

I dont feel they are more isolating than computers or TVs.