Saturday 10 January 2009

Too much stuff!

Some news stories are just truly shocking:
''A spinster who obsessively hoarded clothes died in her home after a mountain of suitcases fell on her, burying her alive. Joan Cunnane (77) owned 300 scarves as well as thousands of trinkets and valuables. They took up so much space in her bungalow that she only had a 2ft wide path to get around them, and her car and garage were packed with other goods. After she was reported missing earlier this week it took police searching her home 2 days to sift through her stuff. Miss Cunnane was eventually found buried under a 3ft foot pile of cases in a back bedroom where apparently she had gone in search of her favourite item. The eccentric pensioner, who had no known family, is thought to died of dehydration several days earlier on Boxing Day.''
The last few days have taught me the appreciation of things which really matter. This year I will certainly be stream lining my life, and not just the things I own, to make room for those things which really do matter. The prayer for myself this year is that I be kept from collapsing, not physically, but spiritually under a mountain of things which don't really matter...that I be kept from suffocating under the pressure of a temporary world, trying to sell me temporary things.

2 comments:

Phil Whittall said...

That's a good aim - it can be crushing

Oli Lawford said...

Thank you for your comment. I hope not to be crushed :-)

There is a greatness is owning a few things I feel; a beauty to be found in the ordinary.