Friday 4 July 2008

02 - Rest

The dictionary goes on to give a few more meanings to the word rest...

5...to be based or founded (usually fol. by on or upon
6...to be fixed or directed on something, as the eyes, a gaze, etc.


I really liked definitions 5 and 6 which the dictionary gave...it says rest is to
founded in something or to direct or fix your gaze on something. This is the essence of rest in Psalm 23. To founded completely in King Jesus, that indeed you can sleep at night and find rest from the world's troubles because you are to be found in something infinitely greater than yourself. Indeed, if you fix your gaze on the God above and relentless pursue him with everything you have, you will gradually lose focus of all the anxieties and worries which cloud your vision; only as you learn to completely focus your complete gaze upon King Jesus alone; nothing else.

I find the whole Psalm 23 thing a bit sweet and 'nice' for my liking...it's the kind of thing you would find written on a card with a picture of loads of sheep and give to someone in your church who is perhaps feeling a bit under the weather. I prefer to think of my God as a mighty warrior, a fortress, a high tower, a rock (generally the cooler attributes of God) rather than him as my shepherd. But, nevertheless, despite what I think about God
he indeed is my shepherd. He does 'lead me beside still waters,' he does 'lead me on paths of righteouesness' his rod and staff will 'comfort me,' my cup will 'overflow'...'surely the goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life.'

There's lots of stsuff to say about rest, maybe I shouldn't have said it all in one go as I have done here...Who knows perhaps all this blogging will afford me a good night rest after all, or perhaps not :-)

I'll leave you with a cool (but kinda strange at the same time) video of some guy walking through the streets praising Jesus....I'm not sure if this is a good example of what it means to 'keep your gaze on Jesus,' he sure seems to being having a good time though.




No comments: